July 2, 2022
Honoring US Military, Veterans & Independence Day!
CORA is proud to present our 2nd Annual Military Salute Regatta presented by Blackbaud!
MSR – Change of Venue for Spectator Boat – Event Schedule
The Military Salute Regatta was established as a fun regatta honoring our nation’s active-duty Military and Veterans to say “Thank You for Your Service”!
This meaningful regatta will allow active military and veterans to experience sailboat racing first hand on the Charleston Harbor. Those not racing will be able to watch the regatta from the beautiful Charleston Princess viewing yacht.
NOTE: Cut off for guest sign-up and boat viewing is Thursday, June 30 at Noon. Veterans who wish to sail will still be able to register after the guest sign-up closes.
The Regatta will…
- Provide a fun day on the water bringing racers, spectators, military personnel, veterans, sponsors and CORA members together to salute our Military and Independence Day
- Acknowledge our local active-duty military and veterans and create awareness of their needs
- Feature and support two local sailing organizations that focus on our military:
- Veterans on Deck and Warrior Sailing
- Provide the opportunity to connect your brand to the Military Salute Regatta to enhance your company’s image and organization’s reputation!
Veterans on Deck works to prevent and treat the invisible wounds that affect members of our Armed Forces, during and after their service, through a sailing program which provides holistic support and resilience training. Warrior
Warrior Sailing provides maritime education and outreach for wounded, ill, and injured service members and veterans. They facilitate opportunities for skill development and build partnerships between the military and marine communities. Sailing is their platform to positively impact the physical and mental health of participants. Warrior Sailing reconnects veterans to the camaraderie and teamwork previously found in Military service.
The Charleston Ocean Racing Association (CORA) was formed in 1967, operating as a volunteer, non-profit 501c3 organization that endeavors to foster a passion for sailing. Its mission is to promote, organize, and conduct competitive sailboat racing year-round in Charleston’s harbor and offshore waters as a premiere racing destination in the Southeast. CORA advocates and supports a wide spectrum of racing activities with local yacht clubs and assists boat owners to obtain competent member crew. CORA is also the organizing authority for Charleston Race Week, the premier regatta in North America each year!
All Donations Welcomed! Get a regatta shirt with a donation of $20 or more!
Donations and sponsorships are tax deductible as allowed by law. CORA is a 501c3. Check with your CPA for details.
Military Salute Regatta Schedule
Friday, July 1
- Skippers/Crew Meet & Greet with 6:15 – 7:30 PM at Charleston Yacht Club
- Crew Registration (T-Shirt & Wristband pick up)
- Sailing “What to Expect” 7:00 PM
Race Day – Saturday, July 2
- Racing Starts 12:00 PM in front of Waterfront Park, Downtown Charleston, SC
- Estimated End of Race 2:00 PM
Charleston Princess Race Viewing Cruise – *Change of Location*
- Charleston Princess – *Maritime Center*, 10 Wharfside Street, Charleston
- Check-ins begin at 10:45 AM, Boarding begins at 11:15 AM, Departure by 11:30 AM
- View Racing from 12:00 – 1:00 PM
- Veterans + 2 Guests included with race sign up (additional guests $25 as space allows)
- Guest Fee $25 (excludes CORA members who sign up and listed sponsor guests)
- Drinks & snacks available for purchase, credit cards only
- Parking available at the Aquarium Garage or city meters nearby, parking is NOT available in Maritime Center Lot (permit only)
The Charleston Princess is a stunning vessel with upgraded comfort, viewing areas, and hosting capabilities. She boasts three decks for entertaining. The lower deck is enclosed and climate-controlled, the mid-deck is partially enclosed and open on the stern, with a glass solarium that is perfect for weddings. The top deck is open to the air. The vessel is 100 feet long, has two bars and a premium sound system.
Watching the Races: WATERFRONT PARK, CHARLESTON (by the Pineapple Fountain)
Coastal Limo shuttle bus will run from 1:00 to 3:00 PM between Maritime Center and Waterfront Park for additional viewing opportunities after the spectator cruise
Race Awards Party
@ Joseph P. Riley, Jr. Park, RiverDogs Dobys Deck, 360 Fishburne St, Charleston, SC 29403
- 4:00 – 7:30 PM
- All American Buffet 4:00 – 6:00 PM must have ticket to enter gates
- Use Side Entrance Gate, along parking lot to right of stadium
- Beer & Wine available for purchase, credit cards only
- Awards Presentation 6:00 PM
After Party! Charleston Symphony Orchestra & Fireworks
@ Joseph P. Riley Jr. Park, 360 Fishburne St. Charleston SC 29403
- 7:30 – 9:00 PM View from Doby’s Deck or Stadium Seating